4.03.2008

Family

Darin Ronald Patch died on March 31, 2008 from lung cancer. Darin was born August 15, 1977 to Robert Allen Patch and Marilynn Blackhurst, and grew up in Pleasant Grove, Utah. He accomplished a great deal in his short time here including service as an LDS missionary to England-Birmingham, pursuing his education to a Masters of Engineering from the University of Utah, marrying his best friend, and for a brief time, being a great father. Darin, his wife, Lisa Weaver, and son Conlin resided in Salt Lake City.
Although Darin insisted he not be portrayed as "perfect", we will remember Darin for his humility, quiet strength and willingness to lend help where needed. Darin found great enjoyment in his work for L-3 Communications Systems West. He spent his free time backpacking and hiking with his family and updating his old house. Darin is survived by his parents; his wife and son, and siblings. Darin was adored by his brothers and sisters-in-law, nieces and nephews.

Today I went to a funeral for my cousin, Darin Patch.  Darin was diagnosed with lung cancer not too long ago, it's been a rough road for his family this past year.  Listening to his family members today, it sounds like he was positive through it all - patient, loving and understanding until the end.  

The service was really beautiful.  Tons of people came to show support for Darin and his young family.   The words spoken were so comforting and the hymns were incredibly powerful.  I don't think there was a dry eye when his siblings (all 6 of them) sang "How Great Thou Art".  I usually don't speak much about my religion on here, but the Spirit was so strong - what an incredible comfort the Gospel is.  I just ache when I think of his brothers and sisters and the loss they must feel, but I also feel such joy when I think that they will only be separated for a time.  This parting is not permanent.  Families are forever - and I am so grateful that Darin was able to be in our family during his short time here.  

9 comments:

HaLaine said...

So sad...he was much too young it sounds like...

Tayva said...

What a nice tribute, Julia! Today was sad with many sweet feelings. It was also a reminder of the things that matter most; i.e., that I love you and Cody and those two precious kids so much! XO Mom

Lucrecia said...

Hi Julia,
You've had a lot going on since I've been out of comission. I'm so sorry for your loss. It would be hard to lose someone so young! My heart goes out to his wife and Conlin. I hope they will always feel him near. Much love to you and yours!
p.s. thanks for the cyber apple pie ;)

sue-donym said...

SO sorry for your family's loss. I saw this obituary and was saddened by how young he was.

Hugs to you.

Kateastrophe said...

I'm so sad to head that he died so young! So much tragedy lately!

That was a beautiful tribute and a reminder of how lucky we are to be sealed to our families.

LOVE YOU!

Lisa/Scott said...

My husband and I both lost an uncle to Cancer. Scott's uncle had colon cancer and mine had liver cancer. I'm sorry for everything your family had to go through in loosing him. For me the hardest part is during that time when their strength starts to fade away. It's really comforting to know that they won't have to suffer anymore and that they aren't as far away as it may seem sometimes. I've been in situations over and over again where I'm convinced that death is just like walking from one room into another, and that the person who dies is much closer than we think.

The Bastian's said...

That was a sweet post Julia. I am sorry for the loss. It is so terrible that he was so young! Thank you for your testimony and for a sweet reminder about this gospel. That He lives and so does your cousin. He and his family are in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

This is too sad! I'm also sad for your family to lose someone so young...thank heavens we know that families are forever.

Tom Quinn. said...

very sorry