1.24.2009

Cry Wolf

Cache loves to play games on our cell phones.  Most of the time he will ask us first if he can play a game on our phone, but he also has a habit of just taking our phones and finding the game himself.   Normally this isn't a problem, but sometimes when I set my phone down I lock it so that the boys can't push tons of buttons and mess up my applications.  Safety first!  Turns out that if your phone is locked and you try to push a plethora of buttons, it calls 911.  Awesome.  I found this out a few weeks ago when Cache accidentally called dispatch once on my phone and Cody's phone.  We take the phone from Cache and humbly explain that there is no emergency, we are fine, confirm our address and wish the irritated dispatcher a pleasant evening.  About 10 days later he was messing with Cody's phone and did it again.  This time, however, it was my friend Whitney who called back from dispatch to make sure we were ok!  Whit and I had a laugh about Cache calling the Police Department, but not before verifying all the necessary info.

  
Yesterday my son called dispatch 4 times.  Four.  Times.  The first time she was really nice and understanding as I hurriedly explained the situation.   Later that evening Cache handed me my phone just as he had hung up on Dispatch.  "Cache!  You have got to stop playing with my phone!"  2 seconds later Dispatch calls and she was all kinds of unhappy with me.  "Hi, your phone has called us 3 times, are you alright??"  "Yes, I'm sorry, my son got a hold of my phone."  blah, blah, blah.  She was feisty with me and she had every right to be.  Cache got a talking to and I hoped that was the last of it.

Nope.  This morning in my groggy early morning state, I hear Cache coming up the stairs with my phone to his ear saying, "I'm sorry, I'm not supposed to call the Police..."  I grab the phone and explain the situation AGAIN.  She was extremely nice while she asked for my info.  We talked to Cache again and now know we can't leave our phones unattended.  Ever.  Hopefully I never have a reason to call 911, but if I do?  I sincerely hope the Dispatcher doesn't say, "Yeah, yeah.  You call us all the time and it's never an emergency..."

7 comments:

The Bastian's said...

That was my favorite 911 call ever! I was a little short with Cody and Cache until I realized who you were. its an interrogaion method. Don't take it personally! But seriously, don't call me there! :)

Jessica said...

That is a great 911 story! First ordering songs on itunes and now calling 911! He's a smarty! This morning I wonder if he was thinking, if I can only figure out how to unlock this without calling the police!

Shawn said...

Oh, my gosh---I would die if Aydan did that---especially more than once!

Good luck with this one...

Shaunee said...

Ha! Ha! Once I laid a loaf of bread on my cell phone in my car and it called 911. I wasn't going to answer the call back because I didn't know the number. Glad I did :) At least he's not calling China and racking up charges on your phone!

Burg Family said...

It was good to see you at the party also. Are you going to go up tubing at Soldier Hollow? Oh and look at the bright side hopefully he is well trained that if something really did happen and you couldn't call, he would be able to get help for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, smart little Cache. I did that once and got so scared I didn't touch the phone for weeks! Apparently he doesn't exactly have the fear . . .

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...I would totally die! Hopefully I can keep Stella from learning that little trick!