10.17.2008

Fash Off


 I don't know how to dress myself.  It's sad, really.  I mean, I'm not totally clueless when it comes to getting all saucy for an evening out, or wearing something basic for running errands...but lately I feel like I look sort of out of balance.  Confused.  Lost.  Blah.  I need an upgrade, I think.  An overhaul.  I feel like I need to go through my closet and take out everything and re-evaluate my personal style.  

I am a self-professed 'jeans and t-shirt' girl and I probably always will be.  It's what you do with that slate that makes it your own, yes?  A funky scarf, cool shoes, rad jewelry...I sometimes feel like I'm a year behind the trends.  Only a few months ago did I succumb to the skinny jean craze and I've only worn them like 3 times because I lack sufficient courage.  Whenever I go shopping, I constantly ask myself, "Can I pull this off?  Does it look like I'm trying to hard?"  

This has been in my mind for weeks and was made apparent yesterday when I went shopping with my sister and my Mom.  They both schooled me in the style department, what with their cool bags and shoes, and all.  I hardly held a candle to them in my Vans and weird hair.  I've had it - enough is enough.  It's time to renew!  Refresh!  Reinvent!  So tell me - what are you loving right now?  What defines your style?

7 comments:

~j. said...

Mmmm...I wore my black & white checkered Vans just yesterday. It was very "I wish it was 1993 today". *sigh* I'm helpless.

sue-donym said...

Whatever. You are one of the most stylish chicks I know. I covet your shoes every sunday. (Is that wrong???)

My fashion style. Black skirt, different top. Every. day. I'm amazing, I know.

Lucrecia said...

Hmmm? I don't know what to tell you. I'm in the middle of a crisis myself. I can dress to go out with absolute ease! But ask me how often I go out? I have a whole closet of "going out" clothes collecting dust as we speak. On the other hand, I don't know how to dress myself for everyday running to school, grocery store, football practice, etc. Totally hopeless!

Jen said...

I can't help you in that department. I'm bad. So very bad. Infact, I'm wearing an old maternity tee right now.
Pa-the-tic!

HaLaine said...

Yes. Yes you should clean out your closet. That means such good things for me. ( "

Andrea said...

What is this!? You have sass, sis. You have tons of great shoes and I know you have good jeans. This is the age when shopping becomes a discipline- because, yes, there are things now that you probably shouldn't wear as a Mom, a late twenty year old, etc... but all the more fun to express yourself with subtlety!
Right now I want all kinds of cool shoes and clothes but do NOT have the lifestyle for them. All real lifers/Mom's feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

You always look great jewels...but I think we all feel like this so often! I love looking in magazines for ideas...oh and I just got a cute (COMFORTABLE) pair of wedge boots with a low heel...I wear them all the time!