8.25.2007

Young Love

So, I'm participating in Soap Opera Sunday which was started by my fellow friend, Brillig. I have not posted any SOS stories until now and I'm not sure that I will be doing this every week, but since I am reminded of SO many stories when I read Kate and Brillig's posts (we've been friends for what...12 years?) I decided to give it a shot this week.

When I was 15 I met some boys named Tim and Jed. I met them at E.F.Y (a big Youth Conference held at BYU attended by thousands of teenagers that lasts one week) and we became fast friends. I was rooming with my cousin, Natalie and Jed and Tim were rooming together. I had met Jed earlier in the year at some school competition and thought he was cute, but never really talked to him. Fast-forward to the first night of E.F.Y. - a ginormous group of us were all walking back to the dorms after a dance and I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Hey, don't I know you?" It was Jed. And he was cute. I recognized him and said, "Oh, yeah! We competed at such-and-such". I introduced Natalie, he introduced Tim and the four of us talked all the way back to the dorms. We realized that we all lived in Provo (except for Natalie, who lived about an hour away) and our High Schools were huge rivals - hilarious. Before going to sleep, Natalie and I had already made up our minds as to which boy we liked the best. No question there, I wanted Jed and she wanted Tim. The next day we met up to attend some classes together and I did my best to impress Jed with my wit and charm (considering some of the pictures that were taken during this time? That's really all I had going for me). Jed was so funny - I laughed at all his little remarks and looked at him longer than I should have. Natalie was smitten with Tim, as well. We always had fluttery stomachs when we met up with them and talked about them constantly. We also came up with a genius plan; Even though the girls and boys slept in different dorms, dorms come with telephones. I don't remember how it happened, but we were able to get the number to Tim and Jed's room. We'd say goodnight at 10:00 (or whenever the curfew was) and rush back to our room, get ready for bed and call the boys. To be honest? I have NO idea what we talked about. I guess I could consult my journal to get specific details, but I'm pretty sure that I'd be happier with most of this story remaining fuzzy. What is so genius about this plan, you ask? We (somehow) convinced the boys that our phones came equipped with a mute button. We told them that if they pushed the "*" key, we couldn't hear what they were saying. So they would push it and say something to us...we would pretend like we couldn't hear them...then they would push it again and we'd say all surprised, "Oooh, now I can hear you!"....so stupid. So every night we would talk and play around with the faux-mute button, hoping to hear some top-secret boy talk information or what have you. Eventually we reached the last night of the conference and there was a big banquet and dance to wrap up the evening. Natalie and I got all gussied and looked for Jed and Tim on the dance floor...getting more upset during each slow song where we didn't get dance with the boys. Finally Jed and Tim found us and Jed took my hand (I so remember that) and led me out to the floor to dance. We spent the rest of the evening together and walked closely back to the dorms. We knew we would have to go our separate ways the next morning, but we were sure that we would be seeing a lot of each other. After all, Jed and I had made it very clear to each other that we were interested. Holding hands now and then, sitting close...I don't really know how to explain it, but you know what I mean, right? Looking back now, I'm pretty sure I was reading into this little romance more than he was, but I was convinced that he was just as smitten with me as I was with him. After we got back to our room they called us like they did every night and we talked and flirted like crazy, but this time I heard some things (while on "mute") that made me nervous. Jed and I were talking and he said to hang on, he pushed the "*" key and I could hear some guys talking in the background...not really sure what they were saying, but Jed interrupted them and said, "She lives here, I'm going to be seeing this girl all through my High School years, it's not like she won't know". Um...know what? Naturally, when he came back I had to pretend that I hadn't heard a thing. Then he put me on mute again and said to his friends, "...Dude...I have to tell her".

***********

As is customary in SOS - here are some links to more Sunday soapiness!

Walking Kateastrophe
Brillig

8 comments:

Kateastrophe said...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!
First of all, I LOVE that you played this week!

Second, I TOTALLY FORGOT THIS PART OF THE STORY! I cannot WAIT for next week! Eeeeee!

Brillig said...

Oh. Mygosh. I knew the boys quite well, but I do not know this story AT ALL!!! I can't wait for the rest!!!

And, hi. That whole "mute button" thing? BRILLIANT!!!! I LOVE that you did that to them. Hilarious!!!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, what a cliffhanger! Oh, poor you... and I can't wait to find out what Jed is going to reveal! YIKES!

Happy SOS!

Dedee said...

Can't wait for next week. So funny!

The mute button idea was awesome!

soccer mom in denial said...

Funny. Welcome to SOS.

Anonymous said...

Oh no!! What does he have to tell?!!? And the mute thing... Hilarious!!!

HaLaine said...

JEWELS! I had NO idea aboot this story and the MUTE thing is brilliant. HELLO? Remember how we always wanted to leave a tape recorder accidentally in a boy's car and then pretend we left our purse the next day or something so we could hear what they talked about after the date?!?? HHAHAH!

Kellyology said...

How smart were you girls with the "mute" button. And how sad were you after that last call! Such drama.