6.18.2008

By The Beautiful Sea!

To add to my Dad's radical status, I must tell you about his recent hobby.  Lemme esplain - my Father has mania's - a plethora of them.  Something will peak his interest and it sort of consumes him for...who knows how long.  Sometimes a few months, sometimes a few years.  His longest running mania has been birds - mostly from the finch family.  In every house we have lived in, my Dad has built an Aviary to house his prized feathered friends.

Now?  His new mania is boats.  I mean, we've always been a boating family, but he has starting collecting sweet old boats from the 50's and 60, aka 'Gidget Boats' (that's what I call them, anyway).  A few weeks ago he towed a shiny new boat down to the lake to participate in a 'show and tell' of sorts.  A 'retro boat show', if you will.  My Mom stayed up late the night before making a poster full of information about the boat my Dad brought down - and here she is!

A 1957 Avalon - the anchor flag is one of my favorite things!


These water skiis were included in the purchase - I think they are as old as the boat is!

The interior is original and in mint condition - so very 'Some Like It Hot'

The boat has only had 2 previous owners.  The original owner housed it for almost 50 years, hardly using it if I remember correctly.  The second owner only had it for a couple of years before my Dad was able to snag it!  I'll have to make sure he comments and lists all the cool stuff about this boat - including the sweet 'Little Dude' trailer it rides on!  I can't wait to go for a spin on the water in this little gem - now where is my sun hat...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beaut! What a fun hobby. Ahhh... the fun things parents are able to do!

Lou and Lee said...

Im in love...that is too cute!

Anonymous said...

Hello beautiful! Oh, how fun!

Anonymous said...

this is the bomb!