5.10.2008

Blue Skies!


I am feeling MUCH better - all is well.  This weekend's weather is supposed to be lovely, so you can bet I'll spending much time outdoors taking pictures of the gorgeousness that is Spring.  I went to grab some lunch with the boys today and snapped some pictures of the budding blossom trees downtown.

Most of you know that I grew up in Provo, so I drove by my old house and neighborhood.  I got a little choked up when I stopped in front of the house I grew up in - 

I just sat there for a few minutes thinking about my family...memories...

I drove around the corner passing houses of my childhood friends and crushes.  Then I got to my old Elementary School - and I lost it.  I got a bit teary.
  
I was overwhelmed...I'm not sure what it was that touched me about that old building, just remembering childhood, I guess.  The School is over 100 years old and was recently converted into apartments.  The playground is gone and there are new houses being built in it's place.  The old neighborhood looks very much the same - big sycamores grow over the road so it's all shaded and green.

Once I got home the boys and I had our lunch on the front porch in the Sun.  It inspired me to create a playlist entitled , "Porch Music".  Any favorite Summer tune requests?  As we were basking, Cache impressed me with his bird calls - which basically consisted of him putting his hand to his mouth and yelling, "Here, birdie birdie birdie!"


Since this Sunday is Mother's Day, I should mention that it's quite possible that I have the greatest, strongest, most beautiful mother on the planet.  Yes, it's true.  She's a legend.  Maybe that's a reason I was so emotional driving around my old haunt today - my Mom (ok...and Dad - but this is Mother's Day, he'll get his credit next month) gave me and my siblings the best childhood any kid could ask for.  She threw the greatest Birthday parties, let us have sleepovers, made Holidays so memorable and made sure we were always happy.  She is so creative - our house was a piece of art.  It was an old home, but she made it modern and cool - our friends envied our rooms and the Patch House was always the place to be.  My sister commented a few weeks ago about how great Mom's are - saying that not only does the laundry get done and the floors get vacuumed, but they add whipped cream and sprinkles to the special times in their families lives.  They are truly the embellishers of childhood - they make everything sweeter.  So Mom, thank you for giving me the greatest childhood a girl could ask for - thank you for letting Andrea and I play barbies for hours in our room, thanks for the baking party you threw for me when I was 8 and sewing all of my friends their own apron, thanks for teaching me how to bake on Sunday afternoons, and especially - thank you for teaching me to tie a bonnet's bow at the side of my face, "...it's much more flattering!".  I love you, Happy Mother's Day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute post! Word to moms! I get emotional when I think about my mom, too. I'm glad you are feeling better and that you got some time outside. It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Such a cute post...aren't moms the best!

Tayva said...

kisses to my beautiful Julia, who is my Aramantha. How I loved your sweet post, and how I love you. Let's make some cookie dough soon!!! Hugs and Kisses, Mommy

Anonymous said...

Awww Tayv. I love your Mom.

I learned a lot from her through the years and I am SO glad she's your Mom for many reasons, but the main one? She gave me (and the world) you!! :)

The Bastian's said...

Happy Mother's day Jewels!

Andrea said...

Um, Love Mom. And I do think you should take a prego test if you are crying at the sight of ol' Maeser Elementary. :) xoxox

Adam Harward said...

Happy Mothers Day. We love you. Adam and Ann

Cordell and McCall said...

I remember your house! We had alot of fun watching grease and robin hood! And making up dances to all the grease songs lol! I am glad you are feeling better! I hope you get it figured out so you don't have to get sick anymore! I hope you had a great mothers day! Hooray a day for us!

Lucrecia said...

Julia,
Your tribute to your Mom was really neat. I enjoyed reading it! Hopefully my kids will say nice things about me when they get older:)