5.15.2007

Flashback Tuesday

I decided to write a little bit about a boy I once knew. His name is J.R. Peterson and we met when we were 4 or 5. His family lived just a few houses away from my family, so most of our Summer afternoons were spent playing together. He was 1 year old than I was and had a little brother named Aaron, who was the same age as my little brother, Rich. The 4 of us were always together - playing He-Man or Thundercats (you heard me, Thundercats). At the time, J.R. and I were sweethearts! I was soooo in love with this little boy. Sadly, his family moved when I was maybe 5 or 6 and that was kind of it - I never thought I would see him again. I did think of him from time to time and I think our parents sort of stayed in touch, but we never saw each other.

Years later in High School, a Teacher approached me and asked if I remembered him. "Um...I don't think so" I answered. He laughed and said, "I'm Jim Peterson, I'm J.R. and Aaron's Dad". NO WAY!! I totally freaked out! We talked for a minute or two - I learned that they now lived about 10 minutes away and J.R. went to a local High School not far from mine. A few weeks later I was in a talent show at my school and J.R. came! We talked and caught up, it was so fun to see him. I was rather taken with him - I thought he was quite dashing! We kept in touch, called every now and then, wrote letters, etc. After I graduated High School he was getting ready to serve a two year mission for our Church. He was called to serve in Brazil and we had agreed to go on a final date before he headed off to the MTC. We went to dinner, hung out, and ended up kissing before the night was over. I was SO smitten! I thought, "Oh my gosh, we are so meant to be - childhood sweethearts, we're totally going to get married". I have to laugh about it now, I was just so young.
As soon as he left for his mission, we wrote to each other constantly during those two years. I moved to Vegas during that time, but we still kept in touch. I thought about him all the time and was certain that when he got home we would date and get married.
I moved back to Utah just after he got home and he came over - I was SO excited to see him! We hugged and talked all afternoon. Except...well, I didn't really feel anything for him. I didn't feel what I thought you were supposed to feel when you were falling for someone. He was still so handsome and we had stuff in common, but I couldn't help feel that we were just too different. His family now lived about an hour away, so that made hanging out a little difficult. Before he left that night he told me that he wanted to date me and see where this would go. We hugged and said we'd get together really soon...that was the last time I saw him. He tried to call me, I tried to call him - but we never reached each other and we eventually lost touch. I received a wedding invitation from him about a year later and was so happy for him! I thought about calling, but I didn't. I was out of town for the reception so I couldn't go. Ahhh, I just thought "Well! No worries, it was a fun romance"


Now, fast-forward about 7 years. I'm getting my hair done by a girl named Crystal for the first time (the stylist I normally went to had moved), so we're chatting and getting to know each other. She tells me that she had been engaged before she had met her husband. "Me too!" I say. We swap stories, and as she's telling me her story she mentions that her ex-fiance's name is Aaron. "Aaron what?" I ask. "Aaron Peterson". "Ahhh, the name sounds familiar but.." this is where I start to connect the dots and freak out. "Wait - Aaron Peterson?!!? Does he have an older brother?" "Yeah, his name is J.R." NO. FREAKING. WAY!!!!! I literally came out of my chair - are you kidding me?!?! What a small world! She told me that J.R. and his wife have two kids and they are very happy. I still couldn't believe it! The craziest part? He lives about 30 seconds away from me. YEAH. Are you kidding me? Man, it was so random. I mean, I found all of this out about 3 months ago and it's still so crazy to me. Part of me has toyed with the idea of tracking him down or sending him a letter...but I don't know, it's been so long and I doubt we have anything in common anymore. It's probably best to keep things in the past - sweet and rosy!

I didn't mean for this post to be so long - sorry! Although I must say, it was fun going down memory lane. It was a fun little time in my life!

5 comments:

Kateastrophe said...

Awww, the JR saga. I remember it well. Did you know Matt served his mission in the same place? Crazy/funny! Matt is just old so he was there waaaaaay before JR!

{lizzythebotanist} said...

he looks familiar-i think i made out with him my sophomore year!!!

....oh, i kid....

Brillig said...

Hahaha. That's so crazy! I don't think I ever heard this story! It's so great!

Rebecca said...

great story!! (I read your comment on Brillig's comment post - and am here helping to make writing your post worthwhile!!) :)

Anonymous said...

This was funny...I was cracking-up!